Chichester Stoneworks was commissioned to undertake extensive masonry repairs to the St. James church tower and portico.
Within the tower structure, iron cramps had corroded, causing the surrounding stonework to split and crack.
Masonry repairs included installation of new indents and whole stone replacements using Bath stone set in lime mortar; pinning and structural repairs and restoration of eroded stone features.
A significant element of this project was the replacement of stone lintels at bell level. Temporary support was installed within the bell chamber propping up the dome above. Steel joints were inserted into the joint above the lintels so that the existing lintels could be removed and replaced one at a time.
This fine church can continue to open its doors, something it has being doing since 1829.